A Guide to Survive High School

Leah Meyer, Journalist

As a senior, I feel as though it is only necessary to pass down some of the wisdom that I have gathered throughout my years here at Penns Valley to the underclassmen. There are many things that I wish I was either told more often, or had just listened more closely to when I was told. Since I feel as though I could have used this as a freshman, or even in junior high, I pronounce it to those in need of a few extra tips to make it through high school and enjoy their time.

First things first, it is important to get involved. With this, you learn how to communicate and work with others in a group setting, it looks great on resumes, and you will find some of your best friends with those who share the same interests as you. Spend some time finding the things you like to do. While I do say get involved, it is important to save time to BREATHE. The last thing you want at this age is to be overwhelmed. Pick a few clubs and/or sports of your interest, but also consider how that will consume your time in correlation with the classes that you choose to take.

Always have an open mind. Whether you don’t think you can do something because you’re incapable, or maybe you think you’re not as talented/athletic/smart as the others, or you think it’s embarrassing… WHO CARES? If you want to do something, spend less time worrying and just get it done! Don’t miss out on good opportunities just because you’re scared or just lazy. This also goes along with things that maybe you don’t want to do, but you know you have to get done. Yes, I know, no one likes the busy work, or maybe you had a stressful day and the last thing you want to do is write your essay. Just get. it. done. You will feel so much better getting an assignment completed and off your shoulders, especially ON TIME.

Speaking of “on time”, I have many solutions on how to plan and schedule when your assignments are due, certain events, or anything you need to remember. Google Calendar SAVED me throughout the years. Its pretty much a digital planner mixed with the default Apple calendar. It is super easy to use and very self explanatory, you can even color code events in different categories. I will honestly still be using this in college. Writing things down to remember them is also a good strategy. Don’t write things on the back of your hand, make LISTS. It’s so satisfying getting to cross off a task you’ve completed and you will be more likely to move on to the next thing on the list.

If you enjoyed these few tips, stay tuned for my next article at the end of the month!