Student Designed Clubs

Student Designed Clubs

We all know that Penns Valley offers some school clubs that you can participate in. For instance, key club, NHS (National Honors Society), varsity club, and yearbook club. I think that it would be very beneficial to expand our clubs to be student-created. Let’s say I wanted to start a baking club held once every two weeks in the foods room. I could get a petition slip signed with all the students who supported my club idea or wanted to participate in. If I got a good amount of approval I could run that club with adult supervision, of course. I feel like this idea would make students feel more involved and give them the opportunity to expand their horizons.

If Penns Valley was able to follow through with this idea, students would learn communication skills, adaptability, organization skills, and time management. Plus, it would be something that they were passionate about, so they would be more inclined to participate in the club and any work that is necessary.

A lot of kids aren’t involved in extracurricular activities like sports, band, drama, art, or the clubs that we provide. Mainly because they don’t have an interest or are shy. So if we created an environment where students could add their own ideas and do what they are passionate about, AKA make their own clubs. There is even a study about how participating in extracurricular activities benefits students. Extracurricular activities offer important opportunities for adolescent development. Think about all the positive outcomes that could come with students being able to create their own clubs.